Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Old dog learns new trick

How does an old dog learn to ride a full suspension mountain bike?  Read on.  It began with Ramon and I dipping our toes into the world of mtn biking with a few cheap, front suspension bikes in the Calgary city parks.  One day my good buddy Vaughan, who's been after me for years to give it a go, invites me for a ride.  Well....I managed to jamb the chain between the chainring and frame and throw my back out for 3 days.  During that ride, I had a go on his 10k Santa Cruz, which felt like riding a couch down a mtn trail.  So when we got back to his place, I asked him to find me one....but not for 10k.  Hey I'm teacher!  A few days later, I was the proud owner of a lightly used 2022 Giant Trance for $2200.  Most I've ever paid for a bike!  (Rudy deserves an honourable mention for trying to get me over to the 'dark side', but crashing over the bars on Jewel pass in the 80's wasn't encouraging)
....and as it turns out, worth every penny, except for.......  
....the chain, which I promptly broke.  Turns out that Giant had to save $ on a lower end model somehow.  Picked up a better quality chain for $70.

So Ramon rented a full suspension shortly after, but he's not hooked like I am.

Vaughan on the bike he uses to carry up mt tops and then fling himself down.
Roots provide an extra challenge
New Trail in Canmore.
Cruising with Chris
Rode up Moose mtn in about 3 hours.  Hadn't been on this trail for about 30 years when I ran the Moose mtn marathon in 2:37.  29km.  I love the climbing, and the downhill reward that comes after.
Plenty of views down to Cowtown.
Kevin on his hardtail.  He's now looking for a full suspension.


Who needs to climb up to the larches when you have Aspens?
New uphill only trail.
Climbing up Shattered.
So....I got my first mtn bike in San Diego in 1983 for about $100.  Then I promptly destroyed the rim by hitting the curb, rather than lifting up the front first.  It wasn't built as tough as I thought!  Then a Marushi MT 18 with the triangular bars and onto a Giant Iguana with index shifting.  While I dabbled in the occasional off road ride, I found it to be too stressful on the legs, with the high gearing.  Also there was no suspension back then, so it was also hard on the back.  So those bikes were used for touring, as they were stronger than the old '10 speeds' and were good for carrying all that weight around 50,000kms and 40 odd countries.
Lot's of jumps, drops and berms on this DH trail.

Family guy trail





Ridgeback 3
1st and only crash so far....at low speed. No harm, no foul. Trees do not budge, when clipped by the end of a handle bar and therefore the front tire gets turned sideways....which means you're going over the bars.  OK, so there is a, pardon the pun, downside to every sport.
Bit of a tighter squeeze than expected.  Lesson learned.  Trees don't flex like poles on a downhill ski slalom course.
Not as much fun after a snowfall...

Canmore nordic centre isn't just for xc skiing....
Odyssey trail.

Long road to ruin trail at the nordic centre.
Managed to nearly run into this black bear.  I backed away, while he stared me down.


Barrier mtn

Start of Jewel pass trail

Pair of owls on the trail.  They seemed to keep peering at me and I thought they might swoop down carry my aging carcass off to their lair.  Turns out they were after.......



.....this little guy.  Guessing one of them dropped it.
Tried Moose mtn a 2nd time, but too much snow.

Snagmore trail








Sulphur mtn...road up the back/west side.....
....which leads to the saddle between the gondola building and Samson Peak.  2 hours up and 20 mins down.  Last time I went up on 2 wheels was 1981 when I was 19.....on my 81 Honda CM400T motorcycle.  I was a real hit with the Japanese up top....not so much with the Park Warden waiting for me at the bottom!

After riding up and down Sulphur mtn, I had energy to spare, so I rode up Mt. Norquay and down Lower Stoney Squaw....whilst keeping a close eye out for those pesky bruins.  It snowed heavily the next day October 23...so that was the end of the season.
Well what a great ride it's been so far!  I feel like a kid in a candy store!  or the kid that I was in Port Coquitlam, building jumps in the nearby gravel pit.

So....since the end of July (excluding most of August in Colombia) I've managed to ride:

-28 rides

-19,100 vertical metres

-600 kms

-6.4% average grade

-No flats--tubeless tires

-No damage to bike...rims still 100% true

-2 black bears

-2 owls

-Lots of grouse


So why is full suspension mtn biking so appealing to me now?

-Relatively light bike, compared to the 1st full suspension bikes over 20 years ago.

-Super low gearing (walking speed) makes climbing a lot easier.  Only one front chainring and one huge freewheel, so no need to shift chainrings with the left hand.  32 x 51.

-Dropper seat post.  Lever on the left, allows you to lower the seat while riding for comfort/safety/control on the downhills. And then back up when you climb.  No more getting off the bike to set the quick release.

-Less than half a day including the drive, as opposed to all day climbing a mtn.  

-It's more aerobic at times (compared to bike touring and scrambling) and tires you out faster, so I can't imagine doing a full day.

-More strength building, cardio and balance skills.

-Endorphins from the workout climbing up and adrenaline for the downhills!

-Lots of trails are now purpose built for biking rather than a hiking trail used for biking.  More gentle climbing grades and smoothish downhills.

-It's a bit like DH skiing.......except you don't slide when you fall/crash😆

.....So as long as I can keep the shiny side up....I should be able to enjoy this sport until the time comes for an electric full suspension.  Not.

....and with winter on the horizon...Vaughan is now trying to get me on a Fat bike....maybe one new trick this year is enuf.😝

 

No comments: